Ahhh here we are. Mid-year and it feels good. After eating your 187th ciabatta and getting denied from every bar in the area, you finally made it. You’re home. You wasted all that money but it’s okay because you’re home and it’s comfortable and quiet and you can do what you want.
But wait, what do you do? Please don’t say watch Netflix, I’m sick and tired of hearing that. You don’t need to do this. Using my vast life experience that I have as a 21-year-old senior, I’ve compiled a list of cool stuff to do that’s not watching Netflix. Don’t come back to school and say “All I did was watch Netflix over break hahaha” because I will lose it.
Without further ado, here is a list of 10 things to do over winter break.
1. Ride your bike — yes I know it’s cold, maybe you don’t even have a bike, but find a bike, put some gloves on and go ride that shit. It’s so fun. It’s one of the most liberating exercises you can do. Hit up your friend(s) and ride for like an hour and then go drink some warm drink or whatever.
2. Turn your phone off — Oh yeah, I said it. Turn that shit off. Tell your girlfriends and boyfriends you’re turning that shit off, and go take a walk outside. Maybe do some pushups. Brush up on your times tables. Your phone is melting your brain.
3. Drink some water — Yeah some of you probably thought I was gonna forget this one. Hydration is key. Don't you dare drink any soda, it's so bad for you.
4. Read a book — Look, we all knew this one was coming. I read one book a year because my attention span is awful, but once upon a time there was a winter break during which I read Catcher in the Rye and it was actually really good. Sit down for a an hour and read. If you don’t like it, then I'm sorry, I'm really trying.
5. Watch a sick movie — I know I complained about Netflix but hear me out. Watch a “sick” movie, not that movie you watched 30 times, watch something that’s going to knock your socks off. Click here for a short list I compiled.
6. Find some new music — There’s so much music out there; if you find yourself listening to the same tracks day in and day out then try to dive deeper into the music world. Youtubeis good for that, and Spotify has a discover playlist that shows you new music based on what you listen to. If you can’t think of anything here’s my main playlist. Also this isn't a plug to show you how sick I am and how sick my music is, but if you do like it hit that follow, good looks.
Now you may have heard of these songs, fine, whatever, click here, here, and here for some new tracks that'll for sure blow you away.
7. Take on that old hobby you loved so much — Okay this one is corny, but with all this time on your hands you might as well. Go draw like you used to, or maybe play the guitar. Re-live those past dreams you had about becoming famous before college crushed them all.
8. Make a Finsta — Just kidding, don’t do this. This is just a note to everyone that does have a Finsta: the world doesn’t revolve around you.
9. Buy into cryptocurrency — As you can see I’m quickly running out of ideas. Cryptocurrency, the next big thing! Make millions! Buy a Bitcoin! Use that $20 your grandma slipped to you when she came to visit and invest to make millions. It’s that easy! here’s a list of some of the cryptocurrencies.
10. Have a night like those kids did in the 1979 Smashing Pumpkins music video — God damn I love this music video. Live it up!